The bight conditions were not to stay for the second race later that day with the sun disappearing behind the clouds, making the finale conclude in a gloomy setting. Paul Dehadray benefited from the reverse grid as he led the field into their grid positions post warm up lap, lining up along side Darelle Wilson on the front row.

Moments later the field jumped into life as the red lights released the field for the final time this season. Smoke churned out the back of the Scirocco of Darelle Wilson as launched from the line with the Golf of Tom Walker in close pursuit. Dehadray fell down the order off the start as Witts slotted into to third place as the field flew into Redgate for the first time.

The cars shot through the Craner Curves tentatively with cold tyres, before arriving at the Old Hairpin seeing Matthew Wilson being closely followed by Stephen Johansen with them both losing the rear end resulting in them taking to the grass on the inside of the circuit before rejoining.

Darelle led the field across the line having not shaken the 77 of Walker trailing close behind, a small gap back to third place saw Witts already defending hard from Team Hard’s Jamie Bond, with the West Malling racing desperate to take as many points off Witts as possible in the championship hunt.

Further back, Bobby Thompson had not wasted time on his opening lap, having got up to sixth place chasing JWB’s Kieran Gordon ahead setting the fastest lap on his next rotation. The cars appeared heading down the Dunlop Straight once more with Gordon now ahead of Bond and closing in on Witts rapidly.

Close enough to make a move, Gordon lunged to the inside of the final corner, late of the breaks to displace Witts to fourth, with Thompson now latched to his bumper having got past Bond the corner before. Ahead Walker completed the fastest lap of the race chasing close behind Wilson as they headed for the first corner once again.

Wilson led the procession through the Craners up the hill and back down the back straight with gap back to third closing in lap by lap. Gordon making a mistake through the Esses came out slowly holding Witts up but allowing him to get a run up the inside as they raced towards the Melbourne loop. Thompson making the most of the situation ahead took to the outside as it went three wide into the braking zone.

Witts getting past Gordon then found Thompson on his inside as they turned into the final corner having gained and lost a position within two corners. Compremised from Thompson coming past, Witts found Gordon close behind, locking his brakes into Redgate allowied the number 36 Scirocco past into fourth position.

Tim Docker and Matthew Wilson skipped across the gravel at McLeans beaching themselves prompting the release of the safety car, marshals then reported that one of TT’s had left a large trail of oil on the circuit seeing Russell Joyce doing a complete 360 spin on arrival at the corner.

The clock ticked down as Matthew Wilson’s car was dragged to safety leaving for a one lap dash as the circuit went green once more. The field now bunched up allowed last minute lunges for positions as the field raced down the Dunlop Straight.

Getting a quick exit from the Esses Thompson jutted to the inside of Walker as the pair broke for the Melbourn hairpin for the final time. Exiting the corner Thompson secured the place seeing Walker attempt a move on the last bend around the outside but having enough momentum to pull the move off.

The chequered was ready and dropped on Darelle Wilson who claimed his maiden win in the series followed across the line by an ecstatic Bobby Thompson punching the air in delight as he secured the 2017 Milltek Sport Volkswagen Cup Championship by finishing the race in second place. Third across the line was Allumy Motorsport’s Tom Walker sealing his first podium in his maiden year in the series.



Photo: Twitter.